Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Storyteller

For the past several months Elise has been very into being told stories. While she has been a book worm since she was a baby, now she would most often prefer to have you tell her a story. We've had all sorts of sagas and series, such as the the many tales of Princess Sally and her horse Neigh (these are Harrang originals), or of the Princesses Ariel, Cinderella and friends, or of Curious George. Let me tell you, our creativity is often running quite dry after making up literally dozens and dozens of stories to entertain her! Fortunately, Elise has a lot of creativity and often adds her own ideas to the stories, easing the pressure for us a little. For weeks we would encourage her to tell the story, since often she would be the one to tell us all of the details of the story before we even began. She always resisted, saying she didn't know how. Well in the past week or two that has changed, and a new storyteller has emerged in the form of our Elise. She loves telling us stories, and although I am slightly biased, I think she is quite good at it! A few days ago she started to tell me a story about several Annas. There was Anna-two-ya, Anna three-ya, Anna-four-ya...and then she paused. I think adding on the "ya" to the numbers was getting her a bit confused. So she started over - there was OneAnna, TwoAnna, ThreeAnna, FourAnna, and FiveAnna. I don't remember the rest of the story, but that part was so cute! Her new thing is telling stories with a mean king and a mean queen. I don't know quite where this came from, but now she has been asking me when she sees a person, "Mama, is that a mean person or a nice person?" (Oh, I just remembered where this all has come from! It is Halloween season and in all of the stores we go to the deocrations are everywhere. I personally think that some of the stuff is too scary! And so Elise has aksed me when she sees big witches or monsters growling and making scary noises, "Mama, are they mean?". I suppose it has translated over to her wondering that question about everyone! Blogging is so helpful for remembering stuff!). So we have a new storyteller in the house. Next time you see her, be sure to ask her if she can tell you a story! (oringinal post 11-18-08)

No comments:

Post a Comment